Friday 10 August 2007

Finally under way.

5 Locks, 6½ Miles, 3 Lift Bridges. Now moored at Thrupp
552 locks, 683½ miles, 18 Tunnels, 37 swing bridges and 13 lift bridges since Nov 2006

We were up early this morning so that we could make an early cast off and hopefully beat the rush. Pulling away from Osney we had to use plenty of power (1800rpm) to fight the flow. By the time we reached the Sheepwash channel we decided that the best route would be through Isis lock so we turned into the channel where there was a marked difference in water flow.

Alan, Joy and yours truly at Thrupp

We had a good run up as far as Dukes lock where we started to catch up with other boats. Most locks were set for us as there were as many boats going down as up. Just past Roundham lock we were forced into the trees due to an oncoming boat and moored boats. I had to cut my way through using a pair of secateurs that we keep handy for just such occasions.

Thrupp facilities and lift bridge

When we arrived at the Jolly Boatman at Thrupp we moored up and I got onto the roof to sweep all the leaves away. Hello, where’s the boat hook pole? Bugger we must have lost it in the trees. A quick walk back down the towpath and sure enough there was the end of the pole sticking out of the water. Hmmm, how to retrieve yonder pole? A boat in the lock heading my way was my saving grace. I hopped aboard and when alongside the pole I managed to hook it towards the boat where John, the skipper was able to grab it for me.

All present and accounted for.

He then kindly gave me a lift back to Thrupp. Thanks John, I forgot to get your boats name.

We thought we had it bad being stuck on the Thames for 3 weeks, John told me that he had been stuck for 7 weeks which included wading through waist deep water, a rescue by the tug Tungsten from Oxford cruisers and a week in the marina.

No comments: