After an almost sleepless night with the storm out to sea in the Pacific Ocean we opted to head the short distance into Clive to check out the site alongside the Ngaruroro River. This is a free site for self contained vehicles and is checked each night as is the Clifton Reserve at Te Awanga by security guards and vehicles that don't comply with the ruling moved on.
Clive is one of the earliest settlements in Hawkes Bay and was commissioned in 1857 and named after Major-General Lord Robert Clive, First Baron of Plassey. “Clive of India”. The reserve alongside the river is part of the ‘Rotary Pathway’ and was named the ‘Evers-Swindell Reserve’ in recognition of the national and international rowing achievements of the Hasting born twins.
We were in for a real treat on Saturday afternoon when a beautiful old Ford pulled up in front of us. A fellow member of the NZMCA he is also the owner of this classic car. The passengers had won a raffle for a champagne lunch in this lovely setting.