Monday 18 February 2008

Another cold one, -6.3deg c Brrrrrr!

Still moored at Hawkesbury Junction

Another heavy frost overnight minus 6.3 degrees but a beautiful day to follow.  This run of weather is amazing, temperatures have dropped since last week but how long since we had rain?  I can't remember.  We are hoping to head off again in the morning so hope the frost is not so heavy tonight.

IMG_0708

Ice patterns on the cratch windows this morning

IMG_0713

Ice was quite thick after being broken up by an early boat.

As it was a fine day I decided to get another couple of outside jobs done, that was until I went down the engine hole to get something. Greeting me was a pool of oil in the engine bay bilge, bugger! (I'm not trying to compete with Bones, Honest!)  It didn't take long to ascertain where it came from, the gearbox AGAIN! This is the 3rd time this has happened in the last 18 months, roughly every 6 months and I have checked the gearbox each time only to find nothing. The only thing that I can think of is that the gearbox is somehow pressurising itself and blowing the oil out through a seal. I notice that Newage who make PRM gearbox's are here in Coventry so I will ring them in the morning but if there is anybody out there who has had the same problem I would love to hear from you. While cleaning up the mess using Kitty Litter (commercially known as Mop and used by all oil companies) to soak up the oil I sliced my finger but it was so cold I didn't realise what had happened Immediately. It wasn't as bad as Dr Bones requiring stitches but I did get rid of a  bit of bad blood and nurse Dot bandaged it up fine.

No comments: