Wednesday 2 February 2011

Here’s the Answer!

IMG_0112-1

Think about it, ER in 1936? The answer is of course King Edward VIII. Despite his accession to the throne on 20th January 1936 after the death of King George V he was never crowned and this public building is reputedly the only building ever to receive the insignia of Edward VIII.

Due to his relationship with the American Socialite Wallis Simpson, who was a divorcee, the king signed the abdication document on 10 December 1936, after a reign of only 325 days, handing the throne over to his brother Albert who became King George VI, whose story has now been made into the latest movie “The King’s Speech”.

8 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Dot & Derek,

Well what can I say... apart from has anyone got a HUGE maginifying glass please... or should I have gone to SpecSavers... LOL

Kevin

Unknown said...

It really does come to something when a Kiwi has to tell you about your own History!

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Kevin
Yes admit it was hard to spot, we thought someone would have known the history.

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Jill and Graham
History was never my strong point either, just a matter of keeping ones eyes open.

Brent said...

The movie I think you are referring to is actually "The King's Speech". Which is a very good movie reminding us that no matter our place in the world, we are all human and prone to anxieties. Well worth the watch.

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Brent
Yes you are dead right, I knew there was something wrong there.

Neil Corbett said...

Wow. I didn't know that! Wish I had known it when we went through March I would have gone to have a look. I'm amazed there are any buildings with his insignia on considering the hate his abdication caused.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Kath
I am sure that most of the residents of March don't know either. We spotted it and then had it confirmed while visiting the museum. Couldn't find any mention on the internet though.