Wednesday 22 August 2007

Steam rules.

3 Locks, 4 Miles. Now moored at Brownsover Park.
596 locks, 758½ miles, 20 Tunnels, 37 swing bridges and 19 lift bridges since Nov 2006


After a leisurely start to the day we meandered down to bridge 74 and winded the boat to return to Rugby. There were a few boats on the move mostly heading north.

We arrived back at Brownsover Park to find 1 mooring under the willow trees which suited us perfectly. We had not long been moored when we received a text message from Christina on n/b Kalimera to say they were close. I went out to have a look to see if the mooring behind us was still clear as the previous boat had left and when I popped my head out the back door Kalimera was already moored behind us. Good to have our old travelling companions back again.

After lunch we all went into town, Royce, Kathy and Heather went to the railway station so that the latter could return to London and we just went into town where I picked up a pair of boots for £15 in a closing down sale. I have just about worn out the pair I bought with me.

Back at the boat we were getting ready to go blackberry picking when we heard what sounded like a steam train whistle. When I got up on deck I found a steam powered narrowboat sliding past with its big chimney up front. The boat was called “Adamant” and with 2 more blasts on the whistle disappeared around the corner.

After this little bit of excitement we went and gathered another 2 containers of blackberries so its blackberry crumble on the menu tomorrow.

No comments: