Thursday 5 August 2010

Keeping my hand in.

While surfing the net I discovered that there is a Model Railway club here in March only a 10 minute walk from the apartment. Contact was made with the club secretary to establish meeting night’s and an open invitation was forth coming.

Last night I headed off to the British Legion club rooms where the March and District Model Railway Club have rented rooms. Upon arrival I was greeted by a very friendly bunch of like minded railway modellers who had several projects underway. It was a pleasure to find that they were not just a bunch of “Armchair” modellers sitting around theorising but achieving nothing.

march 010 Royal British Legion building in March, originally built as a tithe barn.

The main project is a new club “00” layout comprising 8 baseboards which is at the track laying stage. It wasn’t long before I found myself laying the track work for the sidings while a couple of the others concentrated on the mainline. Five sidings were completed before I headed home around 11pm. I am really looking forward to the next few weeks to see if we can complete the track work before the clubs annual open day at St Peter’s Church hall, High St, March on September 4th. Open 10am to 4.30pm everybody is welcome. For anybody wishing to visit, the post code for your Sat Nav is PE15 9JR. Guess where I will be on the 4th?

A topic of discussion last night was the March Railway station which is under the tender loving care of a preservation group. Apparently they are having a working bee this Saturday between 10 and 1 so some of the club guys are going along to investigate the possibility of a working relationship between the 2 groups as there are plans afoot to expand the use of the facilities.

No comments: