Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Paremata and Petone.

We departed Otaki on Tuesday morning bound for Ngatitoa Domain at Paremata where we planned to stay for a couple of days and visit my Mum. Well part of the plan worked out in that we reached Ngatitoa Domain in overcast conditions. After lunch I went and picked up Mum to bring her back to the motorhome for afternoon tea. The afternoon passed quickly and I returned Mum to her rest home in time for the evening meal.

Plenty of room at Ngatitoa Domain.Plenty of room at Ngatitoa Domain.

That night the weather conditions deteriorated and gale force winds came pounding in off the Tasman Sea giving us a right old rocking all night. It was so bad that we didn’t even put up the satellite dish for fear of losing it. The roof vents were also giving us cause for concern when the wind was tugging at them and lifting them slightly. Needless to say it was a sleepless night for both of us.

Para surfing at Paremata inlet.Para surfing at Paremata inlet.

Thursday morning it was still blustery and raining heavily. By mid morning there was no sign of any improvement so it was time to move on to our next stop in Petone. The Petone Workingmens Club offers members of the NZMCA (New Zealand Motor Caravan Association) low cost parking for a maximum 2 days. This site is handy to both Wellington and the Hutt Valley.


Tom and Jan said...

Good heaven Dot & Derek, you're almost parked around the corner from home! If you stood on the front bumper you could probably see the roof of your house :-)

I have fond memories of Petone having spent two years working in Pattie St (just off William St)
Tom & Jan

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Tom and Jan

Almost but not quite. Our home is tenanted by a lovely lady that we can not bear to ask to leave. Our plans are to spend several months down south in the new year. Consequently she can stay as long as she likes. I believe Pattie Street Barracks are long gone. By the way congratulate Jan on a lovely Guernsey sweater, you'll need it. :-)