Tuesday, 2 February 2010


2 Locks, 2.11 Miles Now moored at the foot of Hatton Locks.

While Dot and I walked back to Tesco’s this morning Derek and Carrie called over to Kate Boats about a pump out. The response they got was that the machine was frozen and would be staying that way. They at least recommended Saltisford Canal Centre( as had Paul on Waterways Routes, at £10.)  Carrie rang the centre and found that they could accommodate their request so we thought that it would be wise for us to go as well under the present weather conditions.

We crunched our way through ice about 1-2 inches thick and just managed to reach the facility shed at the start of the Saltisford Arm. Due to the arm being seriously iced over and boats moored in the winding hole at the terminus we had to reverse out and find fresh moorings along the towpath. We finished up having to travel up to just below lock 26 of the Hatton flight.

After all this unplanned cruising and ice breaking we were glad to be finally mooring up for the day. After a hot drink to warm the inner man Dot then had to take off to the Warwick Parkway railway station to meet Tracey who is coming to join us for a week. Hopefully by the time she returns to London we will have made the top of the Hatton flight, a mere 2 miles, but don’t hold your breath waiting as the weather may have other idea’s. Both boats are all set for the next 14 days but after that we could have problems if we are still moored here at the bottom of the flight. As the saying goes “Watch this space”.

2062 locks, 4076.88 miles, 76 tunnels, 130 swing bridges and 54 lift bridges since Nov 2006


Unknown said...

Hi Guys,
we spoke to Paul(waterways Routes) last night and he tells us that you are heading into Birmingham. Weather Permitting that is where we shall be for the next week, hoping Paul will be able to help Jill up the Aston and Farmer Flight if he is not helping you up the Hatton!.again weather permitting. Hope we can get together for a catch-up.
Graham and Jill

Tom and Jan said...


Thanks for the PM. The news has had an impact on our plans as you will see from our email reply. However we're already thinking of alternatives.

Tom & Jan